Furnishing, decorating, and maintaining your home requires a lot of time and energy. It may seem like you discover new details to be tended to each and every day. But, of course, it’s a task undertaken with pride because it is your space for comfort and relaxation.
One detail that may not seem obvious from the beginning is your choice of seat cushions. When you go to someone’s house, their chairs are already outfitted with seat cushions that are comfortable and properly suited to the furniture. But the reality is that you are actually in control of the seat cushions you choose to use for your chairs.
This is something to be excited about because it gives you a lot of flexibility and freedom in designing the smallest details in your home. Finding the perfect chair for your aesthetic is a great feeling, but what happens if the chair has a very uncomfortable cushion? There is no need to worry! You can easily replace seat cushions for any chair you want.
Imagine the possibilities!
Aren’t All Seat Cushions the Same?
Perhaps you’re not aware, but there is a vast collection of seat cushions designed in different sizes, with different materials. Think about the purpose of a seat cushion. It’s meant to add comfort to the target chair, right?
Well, comfort is subjective. That’s why there are many options you’ll find for your seat cushions. Once you figure out your ideal source of comfort, then you also have to think about the aesthetic you’re going for.
Rather than resigning yourself to a limited selection of seat cushions at a local store, arm yourself with knowledge about the variability of seat cushions, and start your purposeful search to find the right seat cushions for your furniture.
What’s Inside Seat Cushions?
You’ve probably experience the feeling of really comfortable seat cushions and not quite as comfortable ones. So what makes the difference? It’s a combination of factors. The first being, the material which fills the seat cushion’s interior.
You guessed it, there isn’t one type of material which is used for all seat cushions. This is why comfort is not guaranteed just because you’re using a seat cushion. There are nuances of materials that create different textural experiences in your search for comfort.
There are 3 main types of material used for the interior of seat cushions:
- Fiber: Seat cushions filled with fiber material, contain man-made hollow strands of polyester, which are then pumped with air. These strands are inserted to fill the interior of the seat cushion. Seat cushions made with fiber have a plump, full, and fluffy look to them. When you sit down on a fibre seat cushion, the fibres compress, which creates a very soft yet supportive feeling. Just make sure to plump these cushions back up with your hands after sitting on them!
- Feather: You may know of feather seat cushions by another name, ‘down’ cushions. If you have ever sat on a down cushion then you know that it provides a heavily soft place to sit. Due to the texture, size, and shape of feathers, down seat cushions have a soft and squishy appearance after being sat on. You will want to plump these seat cushions up time and time again. You will find that down seat cushions often contain some fibre as well, to prevent against the feathers clumping together.
- Foam: Seat cushions filled with foam are another very common option. The comfort feeling produced by foam is very specific. Foam creates a firmer support than other materials. Not all foam is the same, there are various types which differ in density, creating different levels of firmness in your seat cushion. One benefit of choosing foam seat cushions is that they are very low maintenance because foam retains its shape well.
Being aware of the different materials that are commonly used to fill seat cushions will help you to streamline your search depending on your comfort preferences. Deciding on your seat cushion’s material is a good first step in your search.
Other Factors to Consider in Your Search For Seat Cushions
The main decision you will need to make regarding your seat cushions is what material they are made from. After that, you will have more controllable flexibility in other aspects of your seat cushions.
Here are some other important factors that you will want to consider during your search:
- Size and Shape: There are premade seat cushions available in various sizes and shapes. For ease in your search, you can measure the chair for which you seek a seat cushion.
- Cover Material and Design: It is unlikely that you will put a simple, uncovered foam, fiber, or down cushion on your chair. You will want to find covers that fit your aesthetic. While there are many seat cushions that come with premade covers to choose from, in a variety of materials and designs, you also have the option of finding your preferred fabric and having covers made for your seat cushions.
- Price: Before beginning your search for seat cushions, it is best to determine your budget. That will help to narrow down your options in terms of stores, materials, and cover fabrics that you will choose from.
Considering these factors before you set out to find your seat cushions will result in a more enjoyable and successful search.
Time to Make the Choice
Now that you have learned just how involved the process of choosing seat cushions can be, it is a good time to start preparing yourself for your own search. Remember to consider each important factor of finding the right seat cushions as it relates to your furniture and lifestyle. Your ideal seat cushions are waiting to be found!